The town has two fine historical bridges spanning the River Cleddau, the Old Bridge and the New Bridge.
The Old Bridge was gifted, in 1726 by Sir John Philipps of Picton Castle. The Old Bridge was constructed over the ford of Haverfordwest that Henry Tudor crossed, with his army, after landing at Dale in August 1485.
The New Bridge was built in 1836 by architect William Owen to compliment the new approach route to the town along Victoria Place.
Built on land given to the Augustinian canons by Robert FitzTancard, Lord of Haverfordwest, around the year 1200 on the west bank of the River Cleddau.
In 1536 , at the dissolution of the monasteries , the Priory was bought by Roger & Thomas Barlow , brothers of William the then Bishop of St David’s.
From 1983 a programme of excavations have taken place on the site of the Priory ruins, resulting in many of the original buildings being brought to light. One of the discoveries was that of a medieval garden laid out in raised beds.
Situated in Goat Street, built by John Nash for Richard Foley, the brother of Admiral Thomas Foley who served with Nelson at Cape St. Vincent. It dates from about 1790 and is one of his earliest domestic buildings.
It is important for it’s spatial experimentation where the service elements of the house are by and large hidden and each elevation has a different aspect or vista.
There are three war memorials in Haverfordwest.
The County of Pembroke War Memorial was originally erected in Salutation Square, now near County Hall, commemorates the 3000 men who gave their lives in the 1914-19 war.
Near this stands the memorial commemorating the 88 men from Haverfordwest who died in the 1939-45 war. Having been removed from its previous site near St Mary’s Church, for convenience in celebrating the annual cenotaph service.
On the site of the old guildhall in High Street, below St Mary’s Church, stands the rustic cross in remembrance of the 44 Pembrokeshire men who fell in the South African war of 1899-1902.
Lower down High Street a red granite column marks the spot where the Marian Martyr, William Nichol, was burnt at the stake in 1558.He was one of three Welsh victims who died for their faith during the Marian persecutions of the reign of Mary Tudor.
He had learned to read and write at the Priory and was employed by the Chamber Reeve, keeping accounts and collecting debts. He went out into the streets preaching the sermons he prepared at his home near the castle.
After the Queen’s proclamation “burn all heretics” he hid, but was caught and imprisoned in the castle before his public martyrdom.
Near the crest of the hill, opposite St Mary’s Church ,on the junction with Market Street is the entrance to the Crypt, a vaulted cellar of a thirteenth century house.
Situated within the Castle wall and previously the old prison governor’s house is the town museum.
It houses exhibitions of art and local history and has artefacts relating to the town’s past.
The Town Gaol was situated within the Castle walls for centuries. The new county gaol and house of correction was erected against the south wall of the inner ward in 1779. In 1822 this was replaced by a three storied building in the outer ward and now accommodates the Pembrokeshire County Archivists Office.
At the foot of High Street is the neoclassic Shire Hall. Built by William Owen in 1837 on the site of a Quaker Meeting House, which moved to the New Quay.
Here the Magistrates and County Courts were held until recently and at one time the assizes were also held here.
Situated in Picton Place it has an imposing entrance with six Corinthian columns and a pediment above. It was completed in 1872 at a cost of £2,000.00.
In 1972 people from all over the world flocked to Haverfordwest to take part in the Royal National Eisteddfod of Wales.
The Gorsedd circle in which the Gorsedd of Bards held their ceremonies now stands at the start of the recently extended Riverside Walk.
This walk is a peaceful stroll along the riverside and wildlife such as otters and salmon are often to be seen.
ST MARTIN’S CHURCH
An ancient place of Christian Worship which stands in the oldest part of the town. A church was first built on this site in 1120 to serve the spiritual needs of the occupants of the Castle and their retainers plus the first inhabitants of the newly formed town, clustered around the castle and within the original town wall. It is recognisable by its octagonal stone steeple.
The church can be traced back to Norman times but it was rebuilt in the fourteenth century. A foundation early in the twelfth century is indicated by its dedication to St Martin of Tours. The last major restoration was completed in 1865 and took 3 years to complete.
Among the interesting features is a magnificent perpendicular west window, a medieval tombstone in the chancel and a medieval piscine with a Tudor rose caved on the underside located below the squint.
In the fourteenth century the south aisle was built together with a priests room or parvis above the porch, plus the Lady Chapel. A recent window displays the arms of the town and those of the Perrots’ Trustees and the Gild of Freemen of Haverfordwest.
It has a well preserved medieval raised churchyard.
THE CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET
Situated near St Thomas Green it boasts a splendid 75foot tower. It contains many interesting monumental inscriptions including the 13th century coffin lid bearing testimony to a pilgrim who died almost eight hundred years ago either going to or returning from a pilgrimage to St David’s. Two pilgrimages to St David’s being equal to one to Rome.
ST DAVID’S CHURCH
Dedicated to the patron saint St David, it is situated in charming surrounds in Prendergast. It has a long tradition and Howell Davies, the Methodist leader known as “the Apostle of Pembrokeshire”, is buried here.
ALBANY CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Located in Hill Street and now of the United Reform/Methodist persuasion it was originally the Green Meeting House where non conformists met as early as 1638.
TABERNACLE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Rebuilt in 1874 in Roman basilica style, it was established in 1774 and is situated at the bottom of City Road.
ST DAVID AND ST PATRICK
Built in 1872 to serve the needs of an increasing Catholic population it is located in Dew Street.
BETHESDA BAPTIST CHURCH
One of the finest chapel buildings in Wales located at the foot of Barn Street. It can seat 900 people, was built in 1789 and enlarged in 1816.In 1878 it was rebuilt in “Welsh Romanesque “ style by George Morgan of Carmarthen at a cost of £2,199.00
ST MARY’S CHURCH
Believed to be built on the remains of a Norman structure it is a splendid specimen of the decorated architecture. Among its most interesting features are early arches, a Tudor oak panelled roof and medieval carvings. The roof’s corbels are representations of men’s head on one side and women’s on the other and the panelled roof is considered one of the finest in the country.
It contains some of the oldest brass in Pembrokeshire from the mid 17th century. It also features registers dating back to 1590 and a two-seater pew made for the mayor and sheriff, has an elaborately carved 14th century bend end. A brass names the mayor of 1642. The church became a prison briefly in 1797 to house French soldiers who had surrendered after an abortive landing near Fishguard.
OTHER RELIGIOUS BUILDINGS
• Cavalry Pentecostal Church established 1973 located in Portfield.
• Ebenezer built 1817, enlarged 1844 and 1886 located in Perrot’s Road.
• Hill Park Baptist Church built 1857 renovated 1891 located at the bottom of Prendergast hill.
• Wesleyan Chapel erected on the site of the Wesleyan Room at the opening of which John Wesley preached. Now no longer in religious use.
• The Quakers Meeting House was at the bottom of High Street but relocated to the New Quay beyond the Bristol Trader when the Shire Hall was built in 1835.
• The Moravians had a chapel on St Thomas Green until it was demolished to provide a site for the Moravian Court housing in 1961.