Historian Mark Muller and Haverfordwest Town Clerk Juliet Raymond recently attached flowers to the monument of William Nichol to commemorate his martyrdom on Sunday 9th April 1558.

This year marks the 461st anniversary of the burning alive of William Nichol  near the top of High Street in Haverfordwest.   Nichol was one of many who have become known as the Marian Martyrs, burnt at the stake for their religious beliefs.  

A large stone (approx four feet high) known as ‘The Martyr Stone’ stood on the spot at the top of High Street for centuries before being taken to Dale Castle sometime during the late nineteenth century for safe keeping, where it still remains.   In the 1930s, Post Office workers found a hole six inches square and three feet deep, about forty five feet down from where the memorial now stands, presumed to be where the stake was placed.

The present pillar of polished red Balmoral granite was erected in 1912 and was unveiled by the Mayor of the town, Councillor George Davies.  During the ceremony, Cllr Davies said ‘To the martyr William Nichol and to others like him, noble men of the past, we owe so much, and although this memorial is long overdue, yet it is not too late to show our gratitude for their freedom which is ours’.

The inscription on the memorial states ‘The noble army of Martyrs praise thee.  On this spot William Nichol of this town was burnt at the stake for the truth April 9th 1558’.

Related Post

Leave us a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.